HEADS UP: Importing csup into base

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Wed Mar 1 12:24:56 PST 2006

Garance A Drosehn wrote:
> At 6:03 PM +0100 3/1/06, Maxime Henrion wrote:
>

>> So I think it is now time to import csup in FreeBSD base system
>> so that our users finally have a way to update their sources
>> with a bare install, and am requesting comments/opinions/problem
>> reports on the matter as long as it doesn't degenerate into a
>> bikeshed.
>

> I wonder if we should handle this more like perl (or X11?), where
> it remains a port, but a port which is always installed along
> with the base-system install.  My hope is that with the new
> C-based implementation, 'csup' would be useful to other projects.
> (any cvs-based open-source project, not just operating systems).

perl is the way it is to help ease the transition back 5+ years ago
with FreeBSD 4.  I'd kinda like to declare that transition a completed
success.  Adding more one-off special cases to sysinstall only makes
it harder to maintain, harder to build releases, etc.

> I would also be happy to see it as part of the freebsd base system,
> so I only mention the above alternative because I'm wondering what
> would be the best way to handle a project like this...

Make it part of the base system.  It's no different than having cvs in
the base system.  It also doesn't have any foreign dependencies, which
was the main reason that cvsup was never assimilated.

Scott