SET, CLR, ISSET in types.h for _KERNEL builds

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jun 28 09:53:53 UTC 2006

In message <20060628094221.GA50978 at comp.chem.msu.su>, Yar Tikhiy writes:
>On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 01:58:17PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:

>> NetBSD recently added SET, CLR, ISSET to sys/types.h (only if _KERNEL
>> is defined).

As one of the people who have worked with the original /bin/sh source
code, I have a slight alergic reaction to attempts to paste over
the implementation language with macros like these.

Setting a bit in 'C' is spelled
	variable |= bit;
not
	SET(variable, bit);

Higher order macros like roundup(), ispow2() are fine with me,
because they implement something on top of the language and make
the source code more compact and thus faster to read.

But all of the three proposed macros take up more space than
the native language they obfuscate, what is the sense in that ?

If we want to have them for NETBSD compatibility, they should
be enclosed in

	#ifdef NETBSD_COMPAT

	#endif

Or better yet: be put in sys/sys/netbsd_compat.h