Accessing disks via their serial numbers.

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon Jun 26 15:36:03 UTC 2006

In message: <33398.1151304697 at critter.freebsd.dk>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: I suspect that the proponents of this scheme will object to my proposal
: because they can not do a "ls /dev/mumble/*" to get a list of disk
: serial numbers, and if so, that dooms the proposal:  If the only objective
: is to get a list of serial numbers, then this is not how it should be
: done, instead we should add a real VPD registry to the kernel.

I'm curious...  what's wrong with adding additional things to the /dev
directory?  One of the biggest annoyances I have in troubleshooting is
not being able to see what files are there and having magic file names
that one can open but not list.

Warner