Why use `thread' as an argument of Syscalls?

MingyanGuo guomingyan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 09:30:21 PDT 2006

On 6/5/06, Robert Watson <rwatson at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
> >> They are the same questions, I think ;-). Now would you please explain
> "why
> >> use `proc' as an argument of Syscalls"  to me :)?  I've read some
> source
> >> code of the kernel, but no comments about it found.
> >
> > I don't know.  Convention?  It makes sense to me.
>
> Certainly consistency.  Most system calls do actually use the argument at
> some
> point -- be it to look up a file descriptor, access control, or the like,
> and
> the calling context has it for free and in-hand anyway.
>
> Robert N M Watson

Thanks for your reply.  And any more reasons?
I have browsed some OpenSolaris and Linux source,
and  find that they get the `proc'/`thread'/`task'
by `curproc'/`curthread'/`current' like macros
when needed, which are different from FreeBSD.
So I wanna know why FreeBSD do it in this way,
has some mysterious reasons;-)? or not.

Thanks

Regards,

MingyanGuo

--
Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life:
the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for