Why use `thread' as an argument of Syscalls?

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jun 5 08:36:45 PDT 2006

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006, Daniel Eischen wrote:

>> They are the same questions, I think ;-). Now would you please explain "why
>> use `proc' as an argument of Syscalls"  to me :)?  I've read some source
>> code of the kernel, but no comments about it found.
>
> I don't know.  Convention?  It makes sense to me.

Certainly consistency.  Most system calls do actually use the argument at some
point -- be it to look up a file descriptor, access control, or the like, and
the calling context has it for free and in-hand anyway.

Robert N M Watson