Kernel Virtual Machine

Luke Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Fri Dec 15 13:18:12 PST 2006

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006, Danny Braniss wrote:
> but all this is OT, now realy, is something happenig/talked about doing
> something in this area, or is it still uncharted waters here?

Kip Macy has done good work on the Xen port for FreeBSD, and Xen does
mostly the same things as this 'kvm'.  (I am not saavy to the licensing
issues, but NetBSD has Xen support, and the XenSource people seem both
reasonable and accessible, so it seems like any licensing issues could be
resolved.)

http://perforce.freebsd.org/changeList.cgi?CMD=changes&FSPC=//depot/projects/xen3/...

I've got it compiling unprivlidged (XenU) kernels with a  -current from a
couple months back, and it works with a Xen 3.0.2 Xen host running linux
just fine.  (from what I understand, the Xen0 stuff doesn't work yet)  I
have XenUs running right now from this;  I don't think I would call them
'production' yet, but they mostly work.

there were some changes between 3.0.2 and 3.0.3 that broke it, though.
I'm going to bang on it this weekend, but it's likely that I'm not good
enough to figure out that problem by myself.  I do have good test systems
and access to all the relevant code, and I'm happy to do the 'bang on it
until it compiles' type work,  if someone smarter wants to help with the
3.0.2-3.0.3 issues.