close() of active socket does not work on FreeBSD 6

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Tue Dec 12 12:49:56 PST 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20061212160016.W56465 at delplex.bde.org>, Bruce Evans writes:
>> On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, Daniel Eischen wrote:
>
>> It's probably a nightmare in the kernel too.  close() starts looking
>> like revoke(), and revoke() has large problems and bugs in this area.
>
> There is the distinctive difference that revoke() operates on a name
> and close() on a filedescriptor, but otherwise I agree.

Well, if threads waiting on IO are interruptable by signals,
can't we make a new signal that's only used by the kernel
and send it to all threads waiting on IO for that descriptor?
When it gets out to actually setup the signal handler, it
just resumes like it is returning from an SA_RESTART signal
handler (which according to another posting would reissue
the IO command and get EBADF).

--
Dan