Improvements to gvinum and it's future

Ulf Lilleengen lulf at stud.ntnu.no
Thu Aug 31 13:11:45 UTC 2006

On tor, aug 31, 2006 at 02:42:10 +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:

> I'm not the one with power-of-decision here, but I think this would be
> very counter-productive. I'd suggest a different approach, of which I
> had plans on actually doing, but got sidetracked - to build a userland
> utility that would use existing GEOM classes in more-or-less opaque way
> to the user (meaning: users don't have to be aware of actual kernel
> classes to do the job).

I'm not with some power-of-decision either, but I think we all would like
suggestions :) And yours look interesting, and maybe I was not very clear on
this, but what you describe is pretty much - if I understand you correctly -
what I had in mind. Hiding these details are important, but the question was
really what the "foundation" for this would be, and gvirstor and similar classes
seems to be good for that. I apologize for the confusion.

Still, IMHO, it's important to keep gvinum and update it.

--
Mvh Ulf Lilleengen