BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

Peter Jeremy peterjeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Aug 27 07:04:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-Aug-26 13:31:24 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>I also feel that the existing implementation has a fairly serious
>>defect: It only works on systems that have a direct connection to the
>>Internet.  This means that I can install it on my systems at home
>>(where I have a transparent proxy) but not on the twenty (or so)
>>systems that I manage at work - which either have no Internet access
>>or require an authenticated proxy for Internet access.
>
>Unfortunately, I have no ideas on how to get around that issue ... for
>instance, the authenticated proxy issue, is there an ENV variable that can
>be set in the script, so that we'd have a variable in periodic.conf to
>allow for user/pass/host?

You can pass proxy and authentication details to fetch via environment
variables.  At work, we use a common password for purposes with (IMO)
radically different security requirements so I'm not willing to put my
the proxy authentication details into rc.conf.

>But, the 'no Internet access' is very difficult, if not impossible, to
>work around, no?  Would 'submit by email' work for something like that?
>I'm assuming that although those 20 don't have Internet, they are
>connected to some sort of network?

I have about 8 hosts being used as firewallk on the far end of dial-
on-demand links.  The have local networks attached to them but
effectively the only way out would be e-mail (probably manually
forwarded via root).

--
Peter Jeremy