BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 26 20:32:26 UTC 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Max Laier wrote:

> fetch(3) makes use of a couple of environment vars to set proxy and
> authentification - this should be reuseable.  I haven't looked at
> BSDStats yet, but if you use fetch - just make sure you have the ENV and
> things work.

Anyone with an Authenticated Proxy able to code up a patch for this?

> I guess the easiest way, would be an email to root@ which can be
> forwarded to you.  This way you can enable it by default and the
> operator can still decide if they want to take part in the process.

Actually, email would provide no ability to do the 'request-challenge'
that we have currently implemented in an effort to *reduce* (although I
know it won't eliminate) ppl "spamming" the system ... the authenticated
proxy issue, IMHO, doesn't negate the r-c system, since we aren't basing
anything, *except* country, on the IP itself ...

So, although using http won't allow *all* hosts to participate, our hope
is that it will provide enough numbers with suitable checks-n-balances as
to make the #s viable, and realistic ...