BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 26 17:33:21 UTC 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Ceri Davies wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 11:36:12PM -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>>
>> In getting this into the base system itself?  Opt-in, default turned off,
>> of course, but maybe as an option in sysinstall to be enabled easily?
>
> Has it stabilised now?  I remember that there were some reasonably
> major changes made initially, and obviously once it hits the base then
> you're stuck with keeping the server end backward compatible for ever :)

The only major change(s) that were made since its inception that affected
client-server communications was implementing the request-authenticate
challenge system, and reducing the number of 'fetch requests' needed in
reporting from 'one per device' to 'one for all devices' ... there were
several changes made at the beginning that were done in such a way that
older clients would still be able to talk, but remove storing of the
IP/hostname was too big a change to allow pre-v3.x clients to talk to the
server ...

The only other addition that I've had suggested was having it report
/var/db/pkg (installed packages), but if/when that is added, it will be
like the devices section, where its a *totally* seperate opt-in feature
... the critical information that we were hoping to pull together was what
is in the base system (release, arch and country) ...

Now, as Peter Jeremy pointed out, the only other change forthcoming as far
as communications are concerned is *if* we can figure out clean way of
dealing with a) authenticated proxies and b) non-Internet connected hosts
... but, for a), that won't involve any changes in client-server accesses,
and b) well, since I've no ideas being email for getting around that,
might involve adding an 'email vs fetch' switch, and writing a script on
the backend to accept/process the emails ... but, neither of those will
'break older clients', only add functionality ... so, yes, I consider it
to be 'stabilized' ...