BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Sat Aug 26 16:48:20 UTC 2006

On Saturday 26 August 2006 18:31, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> > On Fri, 2006-Aug-25 23:36:12 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> >> In getting this into the base system itself?  Opt-in, default turned
> >> off, of course, but maybe as an option in sysinstall to be enabled
> >> easily?
> >
> > I'd prefer to have it as an easily installed port/package (within
> > sysinstall) rather than in the base system.
> >
> > I also feel that the existing implementation has a fairly serious
> > defect: It only works on systems that have a direct connection to the
> > Internet.  This means that I can install it on my systems at home
> > (where I have a transparent proxy) but not on the twenty (or so)
> > systems that I manage at work - which either have no Internet access
> > or require an authenticated proxy for Internet access.
>
> Unfortunately, I have no ideas on how to get around that issue ... for
> instance, the authenticated proxy issue, is there an ENV variable that
> can be set in the script, so that we'd have a variable in periodic.conf
> to allow for user/pass/host?

fetch(3) makes use of a couple of environment vars to set proxy and
authentification - this should be reuseable.  I haven't looked at
BSDStats yet, but if you use fetch - just make sure you have the ENV and
things work.

> But, the 'no Internet access' is very difficult, if not impossible, to
> work around, no?  Would 'submit by email' work for something like that?
> I'm assuming that although those 20 don't have Internet, they are
> connected to some sort of network?

I guess the easiest way, would be an email to root@ which can be forwarded
to you.  This way you can enable it by default and the operator can still
decide if they want to take part in the process.

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org