BSDStats - What is involved ... ?

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at freebsd.org
Sat Aug 26 16:31:27 UTC 2006

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-Aug-25 23:36:12 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> In getting this into the base system itself?  Opt-in, default turned off,
>> of course, but maybe as an option in sysinstall to be enabled easily?
>
> I'd prefer to have it as an easily installed port/package (within
> sysinstall) rather than in the base system.
>
> I also feel that the existing implementation has a fairly serious
> defect: It only works on systems that have a direct connection to the
> Internet.  This means that I can install it on my systems at home
> (where I have a transparent proxy) but not on the twenty (or so)
> systems that I manage at work - which either have no Internet access
> or require an authenticated proxy for Internet access.

Unfortunately, I have no ideas on how to get around that issue ... for
instance, the authenticated proxy issue, is there an ENV variable that can
be set in the script, so that we'd have a variable in periodic.conf to
allow for user/pass/host?

But, the 'no Internet access' is very difficult, if not impossible, to
work around, no?  Would 'submit by email' work for something like that?
I'm assuming that although those 20 don't have Internet, they are
connected to some sort of network?

I've got some work to do based on one requirement that Matt @ DragonflyBSD
has for detecting  network access, so using that, in conjunction with
emamil, if possible, might work?