[HEADS UP] upcoming /etc/services updating

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 29 04:03:44 UTC 2006

Hi,

cperciva> Ceri Davies wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 03:20:00PM -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
>> Now that searching through a large /etc/services file is no longer a
>> performance bottleneck, I intend to merge most of IANA's port assignment
>> list into our /etc/services some time in mid-May.
>>
>> If anyone objects to this, please let me know now.
>
> Would it be wise to wait until cached is enabled by default?

cperciva> My (perhaps mistaken) impression was that cached was going to be
cperciva> enabled by default soon in HEAD, and at very least long before
cperciva> 7.0-RELEASE.  I wasn't planning on MFCing the /etc/services update
cperciva> until cached was enabled by default in RELENG_6.

Though I committed it but not enabled by dafault, I think it is better
to enable it by default at least for testing.  Okay, I'll enable it by
default.

cperciva> If there's a significant reason why people running HEAD would not
cperciva> want to turn cached on, I'll certainly reconsider my plans here.

We need to change /etc/nsswitch.conf.  /etc/nsswitch.conf is not
installed, and generated by /etc/rc.d/nsswitch.  So, mergemaster(8)
doesn't care of it.  I worry about this issue, bit.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/