[CFR] reflect resolv.conf update to running application

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed Sep 21 07:09:45 PDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 09:59:48AM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Doug Barton wrote:
> >Yes, include works, but it runs a similar risk to modifying the
> >named.conf file, namely if the syntax of the the statements in the
> >include file are not right, loading named.conf will fail. So, we should
> >build some caution into the process of updating the file, but that's
> >easily done with the named-checkconf program that comes with the
> >distribution.
>
> I'm not sure such paranoia is needed; dhclient has always exposed the
> system to the risk of having an invalid resolv.conf and regenerating the
> named.conf file is no different.  Since we're regenerating the included
> file completely I don't see that this is risky at all.

The domain name server values will be valid host names. dhclient checks
that so we can count on it.  I had broken the search checks, but have
since fixed that.  It might be useful to still write a resolv.conf that
only refers to 127.0.0.1 and includes the search directive if we write
the forwarder's file.

-- Brooks