Combine more operation within one system call: to do it, or not to do it?

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Mon Sep 19 02:42:43 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-Sep-19 11:37:22 +0800, Xin LI wrote:
>It seems that Microsoft has recently revised several of their APIs.

I think this is a regular occurence as part of their ongoing efforts
to minimise backward and forward compatibility.

>  One example is their ConnectEx(), as found in documentation [1].

Does this represent a measurable improvement in a real-world situation?

>Shall we do something similar?

Looking at it from the application writer's POV: Implementing a
special case for one OS (when that OS also supports the standard
mechanism) requires additional effort and there needs to be good
justification for expending that effort.  Overall, orphan
functionality is unlikely to be used.

Unless you can convince several other vendors (*BSD, Linux or a
commercial vendor) that the same functionality is worth implementing,
you're better off not bothering.

>  Or do we already done something similar?

How about sendto(2)?

>http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/connectex_2.asp

This doesn't work with lynx and I don't have my mozilla running.
--
Peter Jeremy