Combine more operation within one system call: to do it, or not to do it?

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Sun Sep 18 20:37:44 PDT 2005

Dear folks,

It seems that Microsoft has recently revised several of their APIs.  One
example is their ConnectEx(), as found in documentation [1].  The
implementation is not so complex that it just combines more operation
within one system call, however, this can reduce some unnecessary
context switches as it's now possible to do more things within one
system call.  (For instance, when you connect to a server, you usually
want to send some data as request).

Shall we do something similar?  Or do we already done something similar?

[1]
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/winsock/winsock/connectex_2.asp

Cheers,
--