Bigger boot block size?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Sat Sep 10 10:48:11 PDT 2005

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <200509091214.41429.jkim at FreeBSD.org>, Jung-uk Kim writes:
>

>>Sigh...  But bsdlabel(8) should be able to handle this case when '-B'
>>option is given and first partition of the slice is UFS1, i. e., we
>>keep 'historical' boot1/boot2 for a while and drop the support
>>later. ;-)
>

> Guys, bsdlabel has no future, we need to migrate to something
> that is
> 	A: 64 capable
> 	B: supports more than 7/8 partitions
> 	C: understands that metadata should not be exposed in-band.

Yes, and you've been waving your hands about this for a long time =-)
GPT is a nice sucessor, but our support for it is not ready for prime
time, IMHO.  What is required to actually make the switch:

1) appropriate support in all stages of the bootloader for i386 and
amd64.
2) appropriate support in sysinstall for all platforms.
3) docs that describe GPT on FreeBSD, how to install a system to it, and
how to upgrade a system to it.
4) visual editor for GPT.  You might laugh that bsdlabel/disklabel only
uses vi, but it's worlds better than what the gpt utility provides now.

Scott