[CFR] reflect resolv.conf update to running application

Hajimu UMEMOTO ume at FreeBSD.ORG
Mon Sep 5 10:17:19 PDT 2005

Hi,

mdodd> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> Our resolver reads resolv.conf once, and never re-read it.  Recent
> OpenBSD changed to re-read resolv.conf when it is updated.  I believe it
> is useful specially for mobile environment.

mdodd> The more useful solution is to run a local caching nameserver that
mdodd> forwards to the DHCP or location specific nameservers.

I was using this solution for several years, but I prefered to use
totd.  Since I thought this was overkill, I mode the patch.

mdodd> I've got modifications to dhclient-script and a Makefile in /etc/namedb/
mdodd> that implement this behavior.  I'll clean it up for public consumption if
mdodd> others are interested.

Not only dhclient updates resolv.conf, but ppp, mpd and perhaps others
do.  I'm using dhclient and ppp on my laptops.  Sometimes, I use
DHCPv6, too.  So, I need such setting for each applications.  It is
messy to setup a laptop.

Sincerely,

ume at mahoroba.org  ume@{,jp.}FreeBSD.org
http://www.imasy.org/~ume/