wscons for FreeBSD?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Oct 27 13:09:46 PDT 2005

In message: <25022.1130443059 at critter.freebsd.dk>
            "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
: In message <200510271147.13917.peter at wemm.org>, Peter Wemm writes:
:
: >A syscons replacement isn't such an enticing deal if it still leaves all
: >the 'console' issues.  Changing something for the sake of change
: >without fixing the problems just causes transition pain for no benefit.
:
: Agreed.

Actually, the input multiplexing is what interests me.  The one or
more keyboards part in my description means one or more at the same
time...  There are likewise a number of issues relating to usb
mice/keyboards that are much better in uhid from NetBSD than from
FreeBSD.

This isn't so much about escape sequences and such.

: >Don't forget, we have to deal with the Xservers as well.  Also things
: >like libvgl.  syscons, with all its warts, runs on i386, amd64, alpha,
: >sparc64 and there are patches to make it work on ia64 around somewhere.
:
: ...but studying the source code, one can't help wonder if somewhere
: inside there is a small device driver struggling to get out...

wscons runs on more than just those systems and is a better match to
the hardware abstractions in the non-vga world.

Warner