libc_r is deprecated

Marc Olzheim marcolz at stack.nl
Tue Oct 25 06:48:36 PDT 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 09:06:23PM +0800, David Xu wrote:
> Robert Watson wrote:
> >I'd like to keep it around in some form -- I recently ran a series of
> >HTTP-related benchmarks and libc_r benchmarked signicantly faster than
> >other libraries on both UP and SMP.  I'm working to refine the
> >benchmark for improved realism, and will see if that persists.
> >However, when it comes to understanding scheduling and threading
> >behavior, I think libc_r remains useful...
> >
> >Robert N M Watson
> >
> libc_r runs on single kernel thread, so if you are continue using libc_r,
> you are not testing TCP/IP with multithreads program, this may give you
> false data. Only kernel threads based server can test to see if the TCP/IP
> stack locking works well.

Erhm, its not about testing the TCP/IP stack locking, this is about
stable and raw performance. Of course the single kernel thread might
have a negative impact on total performance, but in our real world
applications, I don't see a real performance boost from KSE.

What I do see is easier and cleaner programming with KSE, but once
you've done all the work to get usable libc_r based I/O, it works good.
(Well, unless you need to fork+exec from a heavily mallocing thread
system, without a patch similar to the one in PR threads/76690...)

Marc