Handling of shell builtins in make(1)

Harti Brandt hartmut.brandt at dlr.de
Tue May 24 01:08:21 PDT 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Max Okumoto wrote:

MO>4. Extend .SHELL: to allow specifing a list of built-in.  And then
MO>   we should define them in bsd.sys.mk or some other config file.

We would need to add yet another config file for this because make
doesn't read anything if given the -r flag. It would end up having
no shell which would be wrong.

MO>This will allow people to add keywords for their shells, and
MO>remove that stuff from the make source code.  Hard coding it
MO>in the binary is wrong.

The initial shell (/bin/sh) must be in the binary because it must run with
-r. I see no sense to add another config file just for the purpose
of specifying the shell. What would that give you that you cannot do now?

harti