AMD64 NUMA-awareness?

David O'Brien obrien at freebsd.org
Sun May 22 22:22:17 PDT 2005

On Thu, May 19, 2005 at 02:31:08PM -0400, Jung-uk Kim wrote:
> I am not sure about the meaning of 'true NUMA capable machines' but
> AMD64 is ccNUMA unless I am completely mistaken, and FreeBSD/amd64 is
> well-supported.  Even multicore processors are available now
..snip..

I am working on extracting the CPU & memory topology on AMD Opteron
machines.  For Athlon64 X2 (dual-core) there is nothing for FreeBSD to do
differently than today.

Once I have the ability to nicely express the topology on an Opteron
system, there are two heavy hitters that have said they will consume the
bits and work on optimizing FreeBSD for Opteron systems.

For Intel dual-core HTT systems, there aren't any NUMA characteristics
I'm aware of.

--
-- David  (obrien at FreeBSD.org)