Bug in #! processing - One More Time

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri May 13 14:52:40 PDT 2005

At 9:09 PM +0300 5/13/05, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
>Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>
>>I should have done enough testing by Sunday evening to say
>>something, one way or another.  Sure.
>
>Good, since this issue has been taking too much time to fix.

I'll admit to being guilty on that.

>>Note that I'm not just "running this through buildworld".  That's
>>how all the previous changes were tested, too.  I have a whole
>>battery of tests that I've been slogging through.
>
>Well, I'd suggest you to put those tests into src/tools/regression,
>to ensure that this won't be broken occasionally in the future.

Well, there's some simply tests in ~gad/shellargs on the freefall.org
machines.  Copy the directory, 'make /tmp/shellargs', and then
'make run/tests'.  These aren't quite in the right format for the
standard regression-testing ideas, but they're in the ballpark.  The
main idea was to give me a way to check what *other* operating systems
actually do with whatever is on the #!-line.  The 'results' directory
has the results from several hosts around here (@RPI).  Linux, Solaris,
AIX, IRIX.

I also have a userland program written for testing imgact_shell.c
itself, but that is a bit more bizarre.  Still, it's what I felt I
needed so I could do a lot of testing of perverse examples, without
having to rebuild kernels and rebooting every 5 minutes.  It also
lets me test with triggering panics which kill the system, as had
happened in some previous updates to imgact_shell.  Not sure that
program would make any sense in regression testing.  Maybe if it was
cleaned up a bit.

Anyway, back to my testing...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org