A beautiful dmesg! Maybe one day?

Clifton Royston cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
Tue May 10 12:23:53 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 01:18:36PM -0500, Fafa Hafiz Krantz wrote:
> Real memory  = 100663296 (96 MB)
> Available memory = 93036544 (88 MB)
>
> Doesn't.
>
> > As you suggested, I compared these with diff, ignoring the gratuitous
> > spacing modification using "diff -b".
> >
> > In the end, I don't think I can consider even one of your changes to
> > be an improvement.  The closest you came to a useful change was the
> > capitalisation of "Real memory", but that's hardly necessary, and
> > the accompanying change to the next line upsets the formatting.
>
> Ofcourse it doesn't improve the functionality.
> And I get the feeling that's what you're all about.

  Indeed, you understand correctly.  Functionality is exactly what the
BSD family of OSs is all about.

  Most kernel developers are busy with activities like improving system
performance on multi-CPU systems, increasing OS reliability with SATA
drives, and other activities of a deep and essential nature.  I don't
generally tell the kernel developers what to do, because I know that
they know their own knowledge domain far better than I do.

[...]
> > In short, I think you should find some other way to pretty up your FreeBSD
> > boot.  As suggested earlier, try "man splash".
>
> Again, I want it to look correct.

  The appearance is a matter of personal taste, and "de gustibus non
disputandum." Your claim that your personal preference is "correct"
does not cause other people to prefer it.

  It should be clear by now that you are getting nowhere trying to
persuade others to implement this for you, so your only course is to
implement it yourself.  If these changes matter a great deal to you, I
suggest you invest the sweat to change it on your own system.  You have
all the sources, you have the power.  If you don't know how yet, you
have the opportunity to learn.  If you succeed and post public patches
to do it, then others can share the changes if they wish, and you will
get some smidgen of positive recognition and credibility.

  If this matters so much to you, it should be worth your effort.

  If you are incapable of making these changes, then your preferences
will get some smidgin less weight, as there will be that much less
evidence that your opinions should be valued.  The open source world is
largely a meritocracy and technocracy; this is not to say that
"politics" and opinions play no part, but generally speaking "working
code wins."

  Mostly people in the OSS world take it for granted that others
understand this, which may be why nobody has told you this in so many
words before now.

  -- Clifton

          Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at tikitechnologies.com
         Tiki Technologies Lead Programmer/Software Architect
"I'm gonna tell my son to grow up pretty as the grass is green
And whip-smart as the English Channel's wide..."
                                            -- 'Whip-Smart', Liz Phair