Time to stop buildling named (and friends) by default in 6-current?

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Mar 16 14:48:23 PST 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 05:27 am, Doug Barton wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Way back at the bsdcon in Foster City when we first started talking about
> importing BIND 9 into the base we also talked about adding more knobs to
> give users finer grained control over which bits of BIND were built, and
> turning off the build of named (and associated binaries) by default. Well,
> the first bit is done, so we're now in the position of being able to flip
> the NO_BIND_NAMED knob (see make.conf(5) for details) to WITH_BIND_NAMED,
> and turn it off by default. Is this something that we're still interested
> in doing? If so, this would be a good time to do it, since I'll be
> importing 9.3.1 sometime in the next couple days (first round of make world
> testing is underway), and we're still early in the life of 6-current.
>
> Of course, this would only be for 6-current, we wouldn't change the
> behavior in RELENG_[45].
>
> What do you think?

If we are going to do this, then why not just have users install bind from
ports and only install the client as part of the base system?  This is what
we do with DHCP for example.  Basically, if it's going to be an optional
component, I think it belongs in ports, not the /usr/src.