Death to toor

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 15 21:44:13 GMT 2005

On Saturday 11 June 2005 10:54 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 04:40:19PM -0700, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Is there any good reason to keep the toor account around nowadays?
>
> Yes.  Some of us use it.

Well, that's why I asked.

> > vipw has existed since 4.0BSD and chsh and friends have existed since
> > 4.3BSD-Reno so I think that it's safe to say that folks are more than
> > capable nowadays of changing root's default shell if desired.
>
> I wouldn't say we are totally safe changing root's default shell away
> from /bin/csh.  We still see people give the advice that one should not
> change root's default shell.

I never mentioned that FreeBSD would change root's default shell.  All I said
is that people have had tools available to them to easily change root's shell
on their boxes since at least the early 1990s if they don't want to
use /bin/csh on a particular box.  Stop putting words in my mouth please.

> > Also,
> > '/bin/csh' and '/bin/sh' aren't very hard to type once you are logged
> > in as root whatever the default shell may be.
>
> We could default to only /bin/sh as the login shell globally.
> 'csh', 'zsh', 'bash' aren't very hard to type once you are logged in.

*sigh*  EOFFINWEEDS.  To twist this another way, when we create user accounts
with adduser, we don't add 4 different variations of every user account so
that everyone can pick a different user name to get sh, csh, zsh, or bash for
their shell.  The fact that we do this for root and no one else is
inconsistent.  The fact that it uses UID 0 also means that it's always
showing up in people's security run checks as a non-root user with a UID of
0.  Maybe that security check should be dumped instead.

Also, note that according to the FAQ, toor exists for bash support,
not /bin/sh and apparently used to be installed by the bash port as part of
its install.  CVS says it has been around since 386BSD though, so I'm
guessing that it wasn't ever a feature of the bash port per se, but maybe
bash's own install scripts.