Death to toor

Richard Coleman rcoleman at criticalmagic.com
Sun Jun 12 03:37:39 GMT 2005

David O'Brien wrote:
> I wouldn't say we are totally safe changing root's default shell away
> from /bin/csh.  We still see people give the advice that one should not
> change root's default shell.

That sounds like old school sysadmin conservatism.  I don't think there
is any technical basis for such advice.  I'm not suggesting that the
default be changed, since consistency is also a desirable thing (I get
irked when I log into a box as root and suddently find that I'm in
bash).  But I doubt it hurts anything to changes root's shell these days.

As to the status of toor, I say remove it.  Anyone that wants to keep it
can skip that mergemaster step.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman at criticalmagic.com