Network-related device drivers and MPSAFEty: status, and plans for 7.0

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jul 22 02:15:44 GMT 2005

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> I4B forces mpsafenet=0 (or how it is spelled... I'm not at a machine
> where I can look it up). I assume you're talking about the functionality
> you can modify with this sysctl...

Indeed -- three major subsystems are of specific concern right now:

- i4bsd
- tty
- usb

Poul-Henning has expressed some interest in the tty code, and hopefully
will do something about it sometime soon.  I'm happy to deal with if_slip
and likely if_ppp once the tty code is done.  The various Cronys drivers
are all waiting on the tty code, but otherwise appear ready.

Robert N M Watson