firmware loading

Max Laier max at love2party.net
Wed Dec 21 05:53:04 PST 2005

On Wednesday 21 December 2005 06:54, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Florent Thoumie and I have been working on some generic support for
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~sam/firmware.tgz
>
> It has code to manage firmware images and load them on demand by
> requesting a kld through standard facilities.  Firmware is packaged
> using a genfw program that's included.  You can package one or more
> firmware images in a single kld.  I've packaged the iwi firmware as a
> boot image in a single kld + kld's for each operating mode that have two
> firmware images.  The tarball also includes modified versions of the iwi
> and ipw drivers to use the code.  I tested iwi, Florent is working on ipw.
>
> If you're interested in this stuff feel free to pick it up; I've run out
> of time to work on it.  There are some potential issues with holding
> locks over the linker calls and the genfw program could use some TLC and
> probably a new name (plus the man page needs to be completed).

I am generally interested and will probably look at it between Christmas and
the New Year - unless Damien wants to look at it himself.  The current scheme
of loading the firmware is disfunctional with a WITNESS enabled kernel (too
much "sleep while holding mutex") and needs to be fixed anyway.

Is this work in perforce?  Is Florent still actively working on it?

/"\  Best regards,                      | mlaier at freebsd.org