FreeBSD5.4 - GUI fails

Mario Hoerich lists at MHoerich.de
Sat Dec 10 07:51:55 PST 2005

# arnuld:

[ xorg configuration ]
> configure it. it works and shows a yellowish desktop with
>         an X and X moves as i move my cursor.

twm, an ancient windowmanager used as fallback.

>     vii.) I tried another thing ( to use GNOME directly)as explained in
> 'chapter 5" of FreeBSD handbook. i create ".xsession" file rather than
> ".xinitc" (as freeBSD uses xdm). I put a line "/usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session"
> into it.
>
> then i enter into shell the following command
>
> # % echo "#!/bin/sh" > ~/.xsession"

Which truncates .xsession and writes an (unnecessary) shebang inside.

AFAICT it should be enough to (re)replace '#!/bin/sh' with
above "gnome-session"-line.

For the future: -arch is a list for FreeBSD-developers to design
and discuss new features of FreeBSD.  Posting here is pretty much
off limits for mere mortals like you and me. ;) The right list for
support questions is <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>.

HTH,
Mario