local ports category

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Fri Dec 2 15:09:28 PST 2005

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 05:12:35PM -0500, Bjorn Nelson wrote:

> I propose a new port category called local or site.  This would not
> get updated with the cvsup, but would allow people to have a place to
> put ports that they want to keep internal to their site.  I am
> currently exporting a ports tree to a bunch of other hosts and it
> would be handy if I could just put ports for our proprietary apps in
> there and not worry about keeping a forked bsd.port.mk.

You can add your own categories by setting VALID_CATEGORIES=<some list>
in /etc/make.conf.  A more interesing addition from my perspective would
the ability to add new non-virtual categories with a single variable.
Perhaps EXTRA_PHYSICAL_CATEGORIES would be a good choice with an
EXTRA_VIRTUAL_CATEGORIES as well for symetry.  Both could be added to
VALID_CATEGORIES and EXTRA_PHYSICAL_CATEGORIES could be added to SUBDIR
in ${PORTSDIR}/Makefile.

-- Brooks

P.S. freebsd-ports would probably be a better place to discuss this.