portsnap base thought

Peter Jeremy PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au
Sun Aug 28 00:38:03 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-Aug-27 14:16:09 -0700, Colin Percival wrote:
>Given that portsnap currently only has about 1500-2000 users

I'd suggest that is a reasonable userbase and the sooner the portsnap
database is on the release CDs, the quicker it will grow.

> it doesn't seem reasonable to make major changes to how releases
>are done yet; but assuming the usage of portsnap increases significantly
>over the next year, this is certainly something to consider for 7.0-R.

I agree it's too late for 6.0-R but I don't see why this needs to wait
for 7.0.  As I see it, the prerequisites are:
- Find ~7MB additional space on -RELEASE disk 1 (probably the hardest)
- Add the tools to build /var/db/portsnap and /usr/ports/.portsnap.INDEX
  into "make release" (and remove ports.tgz)
- Teach sysinstall to unpack the ports tree from /var/db/portsnap (or
  maybe just invoke portsnap)

I don't think any of these amount to "major changes".  The portsnap
binaries will be in 6.0 so I don't see a serious problem with
switching to portsnap in 6.1.

--
Peter Jeremy