putting HESIOD, Appletalk and IPX on notice

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Aug 5 19:32:28 GMT 2005

At 8:48 PM +0200 8/5/05, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>I think it is time we deorbit HESIOD in toto.

I don't even know what HESIOD is...

>At the same time, making Appletalk and IPX "opt in" facilities
>by putting them under
>	YES_IPX

I do know what IPX is.  It is fine with me if it disappears.

>and
>	YES_APPLETALK
>boolean build options seems a sensible move.
>
>Comments ?
>
>The first RELENG_7 release would happen in 2006 or 2007, there
>is no way they will need any of those three protocols.

Appletalk is still in use at RPI for printing-purposes, and it
will certainly still be in use in 2006 and very likely 2007.  It's
only used for talking between print-servers and the printers, and
we (RPI) don't route appletalk around our networks as much.  But
we do still use it and will continue to use it for awhile longer.
We printed about 2 million pages via appletalk in the past year,
and have no intention of stopping that in the upcoming year.

I do not mind if it is made opt-in.  (I'm not quite sure what that
switch would effect.  Netatalk kernel module?  Anything else?)

I should also admit that I actually use solaris machines for our
print servers, so in some sense it doesn't really effect me if
freebsd loses appletalk.  But before our last reorg, I was going
to move all our print servers from Solaris to FreeBSD.  I would
like to keep that as a possible option, should things change
around at RPI once again...

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu