sched_userret priority adjustment patch for sched_4bsd

John Baldwin jhb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 29 13:11:02 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 29 September 2004 10:38 am, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 10:56, John Baldwin wrote:
> > If A has a priority boost from tsleep() this is intentional, however.
> > The priroity boosts from tsleep() are _supposed_ to do this so as to
> > favor interactive tasks.  Note that if you add the code to always raise
> > td_priority while in the kernel as below you may end up defeating this
> > well-known feature of the 4BSD scheduler.
>
> OK - you and Julian convinced me that this is a feature that I should
> have known about. Without test cases or interactivity benchmarks
> discussions if this is still a desirable feature are probably useless.
> I will revisit the this once test cases materialize or I have time to
> think about a benchmark (Not likely anytime soon).

That's ok.  This discussion has been very fruitful on my end at least as
talking this out has helped me get a much better grasp on how this stuff
works on 4.x and should be done in 5.x to obtain at least somewhat similar
behavior.