AoE for 4.x

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Sep 21 13:15:35 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 12:59:35PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I'm sure you mentionned this before, but why ar eyou not doing it
> against -current first?
>
> We generally don't allow changes to 4.x untill they have settled a bit
> in -current.  (or 5.x)

We also specifically do not allow new functionality in branches other
then current without a VERY good reason[0].  This is to avoid losing the
functionality in later releases which annoys the users.

-- Brooks

[0] For example, we might allow a 80386 only feature (if such a thing
existed) to be implemented in 5-STABLE without going in to 6-CURRENT
since there would be no point in adding it to a branch without 80386
support.