New libutil function: parse_capacity(3).

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Sep 17 01:14:19 PDT 2004

On Fri, Sep 17, 2004 at 11:04:45AM +0700, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
+> > I implemented parse_capacity() function which can be use to convert a
+> > string with a human-readable capacity value to a off_t value.
+> >
+> > It can be used by utilities like:
+> >
+> > 	% truncate -s 8g test
+> > 	# mdconfig -a -t malloc -s 16M
+> >
+> > Patch can be found here:
+> >
+> > 	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/parse_capacity.patch
+> >
+> > Any comments before committing?
+>
+> Methinks you could probably come up with a better name, since
+> "engeneering number mode" (using K, M, T, etc) is used for bandwidth,
+> for instance, not just for `capacity'.  IMHO.  Making it that user can
+> easily guess its name from already-there humanize_number(3).

Fell free to suggest a better one:)
I talked about this name with few people before name was choosen and
this is the list of proposals:

	- dehumanize_number(),
	- read_humanized_number(),
	- parse_humanized_humber(),
	- computerize_number(),
	- digitalize_number(),
	- obfuscate_number(),
	- parse_capacity(),
	- parse_number().

:)
I really don't want to start bikeshed about function name here.

--
Pawel Jakub Dawidek                       http://www.FreeBSD.org
pjd at FreeBSD.org                           http://garage.freebsd.pl