[BIKESHED] Giving abort(2) a reason

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Sep 12 17:09:40 PDT 2004

:...
:: >:
:: >: syslog() or anything else using varargs is not going to work...
:: >
:: >Wouldn't it be better to have a more generic 'Put this into dmesg'
:: >thing that doesn't require malloc to work?  It seems silly to bloat
:: >the kernel for only a malloc failure case...
::
:: That is what I thought I proposed...
:
:You proposed 'put this into dmesg, with a lot of other stuff and then
:abort the program.'  I was wanting 'put this into dmesg' and nothing
:else...
:
:Warner

    I like the idea of an abort2() [though I wish it were named something
    else] but I see no need for it to be made a system call.  It simply
    would not be appropriate... abort2() does not do anything that couldn't
    be done in userland (even if malloc is non-operational at the time).
    A system call would be a hack to avoid having to clean up the related
    libc functions and/or provide a path through libc to implement the
    feature (perhaps a special syslogx() call).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon at backplane.com>