libregex library

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sun Nov 21 14:59:10 PST 2004

In message: <01E8B7B2-3BE8-11D9-905D-000A95C705DC at chittenden.org>
            Sean Chittenden <sean at chittenden.org> writes:
: >>   Has there been any thought given to moving to the modified Henry
: >> Spencer regex library used in NetBSD & OpenBSD's libc?
: >
: > des at dwp ~% head -3 /usr/src/lib/libc/regex/COPYRIGHT
: > Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 Henry Spencer.  All rights reserved.
: > This software is not subject to any license of the American Telephone
: > and Telegraph Company or of the Regents of the University of
: > California.
:
: I think maybe what Ben was referring to was that Spencer has released
: an updated version of his regexp library that doesn't penalize wide
: character locales.  I believe our current one performs terribly on
: everything but one byte character sets, whereas the newer Spencer
: library performs as well as one could hope with wide characters.  The
: PostgreSQL group did some testing and found Spencers library to be the
: fastest wide character regexp engine while still maintaining very good
: levels of performance for single byte character sets.  You'll have to
: check the PostgreSQL archives for details: it's been two years since
: that change was committed to their tree.  -sc

As well as a number of other fixes from NetBSD and OpenBSD.  I'm
pretty sure Ben doesn't care too much about wide character support...

Warner