libregex library

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Sun Nov 21 08:17:59 PST 2004

Ben Mesander <ben at timing.com> writes:
>   It's come to my attention that libregex on FreeBSD is GPL'd - not
> LGPL'd. I think it rather violates the POLA that anything that uses
> regex_t and is compiled on FreeBSD ends up being covered by the terms
> of the GPL.

That's why it's called lib*gnu*regex.  It is only used by other GPL
software in the tree (specifically, cvs, grep and diff)

>   Has there been any thought given to moving to the modified Henry
> Spencer regex library used in NetBSD & OpenBSD's libc?

des at dwp ~% head -3 /usr/src/lib/libc/regex/COPYRIGHT
Copyright 1992, 1993, 1994 Henry Spencer.  All rights reserved.
This software is not subject to any license of the American Telephone
and Telegraph Company or of the Regents of the University of California.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no