implementation

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sat Nov 20 15:38:37 PST 2004

I have been thinking of a private hobby project, to try to implement
FreeBSD on a palmtop based upon a version of the xscale processor.  I have
several good reasons to try this.  Currently, there is a version of Linux
running on it, so I expect not to have too hard a job of getting it
booted, but I haven't really tracked FreeBSD, from a very lo-level
standpoint, since FreeBSD-2.2 ... I don't know if FreeBSD remains a good
platform for such and item or not.  The image has to be, roughly speaking,
capabable of running in a 64 Megabyte memory footprint.

The spacific machine in my mind is the Zaurus.

Am I talking to a bad spot here, abusing the list?  Is there a better
place to try to launch off this subject?  I would like to see if anyone
else wants to chat about it.  I'm not yet looking for any help on it, I'm
not sure it;s a really big enough job for that, but I would like to jaw a
bit, if you catch my drift.

Chuck Robey         | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr at chuckr.org   | electronics, communications, and SF/Fantasy.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary (on the wall at my old fraternity,
Signa Phi Nothing).