Generic 'input device' layer

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Fri Nov 12 00:04:55 PST 2004

Philip Paeps wrote:
> I've been spending the last few weeks writing and hacking touchscreen drivers
> in the Linux kernel for one of my clients.  Thanks to the simple 'input core'
> framework, this was pretty easy to do.  It wasn't fun, but it was easy.
>
> Trying to port these drivers to FreeBSD is a lot more painful than it should
> be, and I'm finding myself duplicating heaps of code (translating absolute
> coordinates to dx/dy motions, mapping buttons, etc).
>
> Has anyone else tried to write something like 'input core' for FreeBSD?  A
> quick Google doesn't turn up anything of particular interest.
>
> Basically, I'm looking for a way to get from hardware events to something
> syscons will understand, without having to do all sorts of really disgusting
> magic in sys/isa/psm.c or usr.sbin/moused/moused.c.
>
> If no one else is working on this, I'd like to solicit ideas for what others
> would like this interface to look like, and I'll go and write it myself :-)
>
> Ideas are welcome!
>
>  - Philip

I've recently offered my help in the ARM area; I expect to own a Siemens
SIMpad shortly. It also happens to be a touchscreen device. I don't have
any idea how these things work (though I suppose it's not terribly
difficult to understand), but keep me informed about what you're doing
and what needs to be done. If we can get a TODO list set up for things
that need to happen to get a working touchscreen driver, I can probably
help take a few of those things off the list.

--Devon