U Area Removal

Brian Fundakowski Feldman green at FreeBSD.ORG
Wed Nov 10 19:16:41 PST 2004

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 10:00:35PM -0500, David Schultz wrote:
> Over the years, the amount of data we have stored in each process' U
> area has eroded to the point where all we have left are the following:
>
>   - A struct kinfo_proc that is only used for a.out core dumps.
>     This can be reconstructed at the time of the core dump, so
>     it doesn't need to be there.
>
>   - The struct pstats for the process, which takes a mere 216 bytes
>     on i386.
>
> In exchange for the ability to swap out this 216-byte structure, we
> keep around a 4096-byte page, a 132-byte vm_object, and a couple of
> pointers.  Moreover, there is a small amount of runtime overhead
> associated with this, and developers need to remember to PHOLD() and
> PRELE() the process as appropriate.[1]
>
> I propose to remove the ability to swap the U area, allocating p_stats
> from malloced memory instead.  Medium-term scheduling and swapping of
> kernel stacks would be retained.  Here are the patches; !i386 testers
> wanted:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/~das/patches/upages.diff
>

> [1] Most of the instances of PHOLD() and PRELE() right now never
>     needed to be there or have been unnecessary ever since the PCB
>     was moved out of the U area.

I am not going to get a chance to review this soon (which I'd like to)
but I'm going to make sure I also voice support for removing this
extra avenue for system instability due to media failure.  I am happy
to see you having the desire to take this step!

  <> green at FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \