Which version of FreeBSD?

Xin LI delphij at frontfree.net
Tue Nov 9 01:52:11 PST 2004

On Tue, Nov 09, 2004 at 04:16:32AM -0500, Rob VanDoorne wrote:
> I am considering using either my old Compaq (200mhz, Pent 2) or my old
> Gateway PC (200mhz, Pent 2) computer to use FreeBSD on. Which version is the
> correct and most stable one to install?

I personally suggest that you stick with FreeBSD 4.x, maybe 4.10-RELEASE,
because it would be a nightmare for you to compile the whole system, as
5-STABLE comes with many compiler improvements that needs more CPU time.

However, if you want new networking features like pf, etc., then it is
more suitable for you to use 5.3-RELEASE or 5-STABLE.  I have three boxes
with Pentium II-233 CPU, 64MB RAM running FreeBSD 5.x for more than 1
year.  Be sure to use UFS1 when you set up the system, as you may not
need UFS2 features and UFS1 may save you some disk space on relatively
old systems.

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij frontfree net>	http://www.delphij.net/
See complete headers for GPG key and other information.