Removing T/TCP and replacing it with something simpler

Karim Fodil-Lemelin kfl at xiphos.ca
Fri Nov 5 08:39:22 PST 2004

Now,

    I have a question. In our application which can be described as:

Client ----> (Client Gateway) -------> SATLINK ------> (Server Gateway)
-----> Internet

We act as the Internet servers (transparent proxies) and therefore T/TCP
traffic is only sent over the SATLINK. In the current T/TCP
implementation the sender has to send a ccnew option to discover that
the server side supports T/TCP. Now we had to modify this so the
gateways uses the knowledge that they work together and they don't need
to send a ccnew option everytime a client makes a connection to a new
server.

My question is: In the new implementation does the cookie will be
generated per machine or like the tao mecanism will it be based on a src
/ dst tuple?

Regards.

Matt Sealey wrote:

>His product looks like it's the the product mentioned in the original post by
>the original poster;
>
>http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=284774+0+/usr/local/www/db/text/2004/freebsd-net/20041024.freebsd-net
>
>QUOTE:
>
>However something like T/TCP is certainly useful and I know of one special
>purpose application using it (Web Proxy Server/Client for high-delay Satellite
>connections).
>
>As long as they can live with FreeBSD 5.3 I don't think it causes a problem
>whatsoever does it?

Right, Actually we are based on FBSD 4.9 and we are planning to port to
5.3 as soon as it gets stable, which  could be anytime soon ;).

--
Karim Fodil-Lemelin
Lead Programmer

Xiphos Technologies Inc.
(514) 848-9640 x223
(514) 848-9644 fax
www.xiplink.com

The information transmitted is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
confidential and/or privileged material.  If you have
received this in error, please contact the sender and delete
this communication and any copy immediately. Thank you.