CFD: XMLification of NOTES

Alexey Zelkin phantom at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 30 15:25:04 PST 2004

hi,

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 05:05:24PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> Alexey Zelkin <phantom at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > This weekend I have got some spare time (due to illness) and in
> > order to get some rest from current tasks decided to pass thru old
> > TODO file.  Most interesting task got my attention was old item
> > related to XMLification NOTES.
> >
> > Important advantage of this step (IMO) is to provide possibility to
> > check dependency/conflicts of kernel configuration file to end users.
> > [...]
>
> NOTES is not intended as a list of supported device and options.  We
> have src/sys/conf/files* and src/sys/conf/options* for that.

Strange.  IMO LINT was existed for exactly this reason (plus meta-kernel
configuration file used for compiling checks).  LINT and NOTES aren't
so different, so you can't say that purpose of NOTES is different than
LINT.

> Dependencies between loadable drivers and subsystems are documented in
> the source code (MODULE_DEPEND), though that information is not used
> at compile time.  Dependencies that involve non-loadable drivers and
> subsystems are not documented anywhere (except sometimes in manual
> pages).  It would not be hard to modify config(8) to obtain that
> information from e.g. src/sys/conf/depend*.  I might even come up with
> a patch if I'm bored.

I am not asking for patches, but if you would provide me general
description how to realize that CPU_I386 conflicts with SMP and
ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES depends on SMP (using your way) I would be happy and
re-think my approach.

--
/* Alexey Zelkin             && Independent Contractor      */
/* phantom(at)FreeBSD.org    && http://www.FreeBSD.org/java */