Where should devctl notifications be sent from?

Nik Clayton nik at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 29 13:21:03 PST 2004

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:11:26AM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> The one question I would like you to answer is:  How do you know it is
> the right iPod before you stuff it with you backup ?

Depends how good GBDE is.  If

    mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /ipod/backup.md -u 0
    gbde attach /dev/md0c
    <enter pass phrase>

works, and it's not my iPod, we have bigger problems...  This also hooks
in to the thread recently about USB serial numbers.  USB devices are
just one class of removable device which might have unique identifiers
(or unique-enough for most purposes) that could be exposed through a
suitable namespace (/dev, presumably).

> The problem is, more or less, that the higher up (ie: lower on your list)
> in the kernel you get, the more information you have lost.
>
> Devctl today is working on the newbus view of hardware, and there we
> have already lost most of the info that could help you make that
> decision.

Part of what I don't get (I think) is why devctl is needed.  Wouldn't a
new EVFILT_DEV kqueue filter be a more consistent way of doing things?

I realise that may be opening a can of worms.  I've googled my way back
through the archives and didn't turn up anything that looked like
discussion of the devctl approach.  If there's anything out there that
explains this that I've missed, I'll read any pointers.

FreeBSD: The Power to Serve      http://www.freebsd.org/               (__)
FreeBSD Documentation Project    http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/    \\\'',)
                                                                      \/  \ ^
   --- 15B8 3FFC DDB4 34B0 AA5F  94B7 93A8 0764 2C37 E375 ---         .\._/_)