Is MTX_CONTESTED evil?

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Sun Mar 28 15:25:05 PST 2004

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 02:03:37PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:
> "Brian F. Feldman" <green at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > des at des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?q?Sm=F8rgrav?=) wrote:
> > > Making ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES default will not catch more bugs, it will just
> > > piss off users.
> > What in the world you are talking about?  I didn't know that a large class
> > of bugs existed on SMP, turned on ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES, and found those bugs.
> > QED.
>
> ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES currently makes the system unusable.  If we turn it
> on by default, people will simply stop using FreeBSD (or at least stop
> upgrading).

This is -CURRENT, remember..we can't be shy about making changes
during development that will improve FreeBSD in the long term.  If
it's really that bad then there might be some ground work to do before
it's turned on.  However, my experience with ADAPTIVE_MUTEXES on two
heavily loaded 4-way SMP package building machines for the past few
days has not yet exposed any problems.

Kris