PATCH for a more-POSIX `ps', and related adventures

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Fri Mar 26 14:36:33 PST 2004

At 11:14 PM +0100 3/26/04, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>"Garance A Drosihn" <drosih at rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>  > [this is BCC'ed to -arch so more people have a chance to see
>  >  it, but I expect most of the discussion to happen in
>  >  freebsd-standards].
>
>argh! thread not seen before. please, see my post in -arch entiled :
>posix ps (was Re: Adding `pgrep' and `pkill' to /usr/bin)

You need to catch up on the entire thread before replying.  If you
are only following -arch, then note that most of the discussion
has happened in -standards.  Let me save you a little concern,
and say that "for now" I have backed away from any of the options
where there has been some debate over whether the option would
create more headaches than it solves.  (most of them are still
in the code, but #ifdef'ed out until I do some more thinking).

If nothing else, make sure you understand my latest patch, which
I intend to commit tonight or tomorrow.  The ship has pretty much
sailed at this point, because I can't just keep increasing the size
of the patch and throwing around multi-hundred line emails every
two hours for the next two months.  I need to commit the part that
I have now, and then think of what I want to do next.  We are not
going to commit one 10,000 line patch to `ps', attempting to solve
every problem ever known to man all at once.  I am fairly confident
that the 1,000 line patch that I have right now is safe, and is a
step forward, and does not bloat the size of /bin/ps, and does not
get us into much trouble wrt future changes.  Those are all good
things.  I intend to commit what I have written and debugged.

I just sort of stumbled into this `ps' issue last week, and I
have worked many hours on what I have done.  I know it falls far
short of the perfect solution, but I am doing something and I am
willing to listen to further ideas.  However, I cannot devote my
life to `ps', so I will juggle this work with all the other work
that I'm trying to do.

[I'm also several lines in to a reply to your other message to
freebsd-arch, but I'll send this shorter reply right now...]

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu