Opinions about using USB serial numbers

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Sun Mar 21 19:11:06 PST 2004

On Saturday 20 March 2004 17:43, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20040320052007.GC33602 at cicely12.cicely.de>
>
>             Bernd Walter <ticso at cicely12.cicely.de> writes:
> : I have a lot to do with systems using many USB devices of the same
> : kind.
> : Currently device are named acording to their probing order.
> : That result in the problematic that device names can change after
> : reboot or replugging in different order.
> :
> : I would like to add functionality for creating alias devnodes
> : including the serial numbers (if the device has one setup).
> : E.g. for a ucom(4) device you will get /dev/ucom0 and
> : ucom.serialnumber. If the device has no serial numer there will be
> : just /dev/ucom0 as befor.
> :
> : Another solution could be to create the nodes in a tree form:
> : /dev/usbchannel0/hubport1/pubport2/ucom
> : That would work for devices without serial numbers too, but I
> : personally dislike this way.
>
> I'd rather that we have a generic binding of a device instance number
> to a pnp location.
>
> However, having said that, you can use devd to extract the information
> from the node and then create a symbolic link...

Using the serial number would give the ability to reliably connect to a
specific device, or to know that it is not currently present in the
system.  For certain embedded applications, that could be very nice.

Wes Peters                                                  Softweyr LLC
wes at softweyr.com                                    http://softweyr.com/